Wednesday, 9 January 2008

SAD and Bipolar disorder

Seasonal Affective Disorder is primarily known as too much sleep caused by the absence of light or day-light and it quite commonly appears among many people during the winter season when days becoming increasingly shorter. Researchers argue that with light therapy, dawn simulation, high-density negative air ionization or antidepressants the symptoms of this condition can be cured. This is particularly a case present in countries of the Northern and Southern hemisphere where occasionally day becomes night. As levels of serotonin and melatonin are altered within our body we tend to sleep more and do not feel awake during the day.

The symptoms of SAD are defined as:

  • Lack of energy including increased fatigue, an increased need for sleep, and lethargy.

  • Increased appetite, possible weight gain, and increased cravings for sugar and carbs.

  • Withdrawal from friends and family, relationship problems, loss of libido, and anxiety.
  • Problems with focusing or concentrating on various types of tasks or work.

  • An increase in the symptoms of premenstrual syndrome or PMS, or premenstrual dysphoric disorder which is also called PMDD.

  • Seasonal depression during Fall and Winter.
Bulletpoints quoted from Tracee Cornforth at about.com

Although this may seem like a fictitious creation of a condition, manufacturers have designed special light therapy lamps for use around the household. The lamps have a power rating of 10,000 lux so it is advised that one doesn't look directly at them. The lamps have timers so that you can set them 2 hours before the time you should wake up and the cheapest ones cost a little more than 100usd. This may be a healthy investment for those bipolar people who believe that sun deprivation maybe the main reason why they can't wake up in the mornings. Light therapy can last from half an hour to 2 hours so it doesn't really impact electricity bills. Turning on all the lights may be even more expensive. Yet I'am a firm believer that sunlight is definitely beneficial to the soul and an investment into a light therapy lamp sounds like good money worth spent.

12 Comments:

ilker said...

I was about to buy one of those SAD lamps when I felt "low energy" back in the days - but then it was much more expensive than it is now.

Mrs.Linda Taylor said...

Bipolar disorder is an illness of severe mood swings. Mania and depression are the highs and lows of this disorder. Typically it is diagnosed in young adults age 18 years and older. It affects men and women equally. The disorder can run in families. http://www.xanax-effects.com/

Anonymous said...

I couldn't refrain from commenting. Very well written!
My weblog : african mangoes

Anonymous said...

Howdy would you mind letting me know which webhost you're utilizing? I've loaded
your blog in 3 different browsers and I must say
this blog loads a lot quicker then most. Can you recommend a good web hosting
provider at a honest price? Cheers, I appreciate it!

Here is my website ... http://toddlerhitting.org

Anonymous said...

TED: bought and sold from the highest bidder: fear. Unfortunately, the
flatlanders have only additional pancaked their own one-dimensionality.

Sheldrake rising!

Here is my site - precision nutrition gourmet cookbook pdf

Anonymous said...

Nice tips offered for gain excess weight

my site :: mike chang monster mass free

Anonymous said...

I am not italian, and i really got practically
nothing against them, but I hear girls stating that italian males are soooo scorching, and gorgeous,
with design looks, but these same women are
with guys that are not italian. And when they're italian, they undoubtedly do not look like models. I mean I can comprehend the aggravation of ladies once they see men ogling at models/skinny females, and it makes me question whether my physical look is acceptable or not. So my query is are males of other ethnicities much less attractive? is it a fantasy of every lady to become by having an italian dude?

Here is my blog post how to get girls

Anonymous said...

Actually great publish. I`ve tried some fb strategies but failed.

Additional key phrase focusing on can be a excellent thought.
But how you can uncover pictures that operate?

My site :: tristan hart

Anonymous said...

i see these every single 12 months in magazines, and I am constantly so lose jealous.
lol. I would adore to make a secret dollhouse escape for my daughter.
All quite whites, and beautiful vibrant china to perform tea celebration.
I just think that would be this kind of a
great memory. I would also love a spot to call my personal.

A location to operate on tasks, but also just curl up and read journals or textbooks.
What a exciting small dream to daydream about = )
Jen
lately posted..Visitor Publish at Stardust-Decor & Style

my homepage ... Order Arrow sheds

Anonymous said...

I have tried a few of those and have had some great results.
Shared

My web page - teeth whitening gel refills ireland

Anonymous said...

When you lose body does it come about all more than the body equally or to certain
parts more than other individuals?
Reason i ask is
i've been on a diet program and have noticed a massive adjust all over my physique and im a lot thinner all other my physique. I have also noticed although that my breasts have gone actually tiny and therefore are half the size due towards the quantity of body fat ive lost on my upper physique. My thighs and buttocks are starting to go now slowly but gradual.

My homepage - six pack shortcuts free online

Anonymous said...

I agree together with the essence of what you're stating but I am afraid you oversimplify a bit. As an illustration the truth that you are able to read and write is? all thanks to your formal education. So you can not say that elementary schools don't educate
us helpful things - they do. The issue is the fact that higher school introduces lots of material which most in
the folks will probably never use in their genuine lives after they graduate.



my weblog marcus london 60 minute stamina for free